Pumpkin Mochi Balls (Onde Onde)
RECIPE BY WOON HENG @woon.heng
Love mochi and the flavors of fall? This recipe is for you! This Onde onde is an Indonesian treat similar to a mochi. @woon.heng has chosen to flavor this with a kabocha squash also known as japanese pumpkin.
MAKES 18 BALLS
- ONDE ONDE
- Kabocha Squash, 180 g (skins removed and steamed, you can use pumpkin instead)
- Glutinous Rice Flour, 200 g
- Tapioca Flour, 1 tbsp
- Water, 100 ml or more
- Fresh or Frozen Grated Coconut
- Coconut Sugar, 1/2 - 1 cup
- Organic Sugar, 1 tbsp
- Mash steamed kabocha & prepare a bowl with glutinous rice flour. In a pot, mix tapioca flour in 100ml water. While stirring continuously, bring mixture to boil & cook until it turns close to translucent. Remove from the heat & immediately add to the glutinous rice flour. Stir to combine.
- Then mix in mashed kabocha & knead into a soft dough. If it's too dry, add water, 1 tablespoon at a time or more glutinous rice flour if it's too wet. Cover & let the dough rest for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare a shallow plate & fill it with a layer of grated coconut. If you are using frozen grated coconut, please bring it to room temperate. You may season it with a pinch of salt.
- To make the onde onde, bring a pot of water (5-quart or larger) to boil. Pinch a small dough off, about ping pong's size. Flatten it by pinching with your thumb & forefinger into a circle. Try to keep the middle part thicker.
- Place the flatten dough in your palm & spoon some sugar mixture to the middle. Pinch to seal & roll into a ball.
- Using a slotted spoon, slowly drop the ball into the boiling water (water must be boiling or it will stick to the bottom of the pan). Cook until the ball floats up & let it stay atop for another 1 minute.
- Then, remove the ball & roll it in grated coconut.
Woon Heng is such a creative plant-based foodie. She creates incredible asian plant-based recipes that inspires people to adopt a plant-based lifestyle.
For more nourishing and plant-based recipes, check out our cookbook ‘Vegan Bowls’. We have carefully selected some of our favourite healthy recipes for every meal of the day – refreshing breakfast bowls, tasty snacks, wholesome vegan dinners, and guilt-free desserts that you can prepare in your own kitchen!
Click here to explore our variety of eco-friendly products. Our famous Coconut Bowls, Wooden Forks and Spoons, and Bamboo Straws are all made by nature, and provide the perfect sustainable accompaniment to any plant-based meal.
Shop sustainably and in style with our reusable Taste Without Waste grocery tote bags, market bags and produce bags. Made with organic cotton, making them good for you, your produce and the planet. Ditching plastic and reducing waste has never looked and felt so good.
Thousands of customers have fallen in love with our products and we're confident you will too. If that’s not enough, have no fear, you can rely on our lifetime product guarantee. If after following our care instructions* a Coconut Bowl that you've purchased from us ever cracks or breaks, we'll offer you a replacement for free.
So.. what’s stopping you? SHOP NOW.