Vegan Caramel Popcorn
RECIPE BY YASMIN FROM @VGNBITES_
Movie nights and game nights will be even more fun with these crunchy and sweet caramel popcorn. It might be a little bit intimidating, but making it is actually super fun and rewarding.
- Popcorn Kernels, 3/4 cup
- Oil, 3/4 cup
- Unsalted Vegan Butter, 1 cup
- Light Brown Sugar, 2 cups
- Light Corn Syrup, 1/2 cup
- Baking Soda, 1/2 tsp
- Salt, 1 tsp
- Ground Black Pepper, 1 tbsp (coarsely ground)
- Preheat the oven to 300°F and prepare two baking sheets with slightly greased aluminum foil.
- Heat oil in a pot on medium-high heat and add the popcorn kernels. Cover and cook for 4-5 minutes while shaking the pot occasionally, until the popping has stopped. Be very careful while doing this and use an oven mitten to keep yourself protected.
- To avoid the popcorns from burning, stop the heat until there's almost no popping left. There will be an a few popcorn kernels left inside the pot and that's ok. You can discard them later. Set aside until ready to use.
- In a separate large pot, add butter and heat it until it melts.Stir in brown sugar and corn syrup. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and continue to cook for about 5 minutes or until the caramel takes on a golden brown colour.
- Remove the caramel from the heat. Add baking soda, salt and black pepper. Stir to combine.
- Pour caramel over popcorn and toss until all the popcorns are coated.
- Divide popcorn between two baking trays, and spread them out into even layers.
- Bake for 1 hour while stirring the popcorn every 10 minutes to keep them separate.
- Remove from the oven and transfer into a parchment paper to cool.
- Break into pieces and serve in your favourite Coconut Bowls. Enjoy!
Vgnbites_ is all about healthy, plant-based recipes that are easy to follow, tastes delicious and focuses on wholesome ingredients. Join Yasmin in her kitchen to make amazing smoothies and learn more about how to make healthy food choices.
YouTube Channel: Vgnbites